Broadcasting Center Europe SA (BCE), as a subsidiary of RTL Group, is aware of its responsibility towards society as a whole and its employees in particular. We operate responsibly and sustainably and are proud to limit our company’s carbon footprint.
BCE CSR News
BCE CSR initiatives
Responsible and ethical behaviour toward employees, business partners, society and the environment forms an integral part of the values of RTL Group and therefore of BCE. The Code of Conduct outlines binding minimum standards for responsible behaviour and provides common guidelines for decisions and actions on a daily basis. The Code of Conduct covers the following areas:
- General requirements such as legal compliance
- Interactions with business partners and third parties
- Handling information including e.g. data privacy and protection
- People and the environment, e.g. human rights, health and fair working conditions
Our company supports a wide range of good causes, e.g. donations to the “Association of assistance to children with disabilities” and “S.O.S. Haiti”. Every year, we actively participate in the Télévie fundraising event in Luxembourg – especially the Télévie Challenge and Télévie Challenge on Tour. The Télévie is a support network launched in 1989 by RTL-TVI in Belgium and in 2001 by RTL Télé Lëtzebuerg in Luxembourg. It was created to raise funds for cancer and leukaemia research, both in adults and children.
Our company calculates its carbon footprint annually according to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). BCE has agreed to follow RTL Group and cut its carbon emissions by 20 per cent from their 2010 level by 2020. To reduce our carbon footprint, our company supports various initiatives:
- The use of renewable materials and energy such as recycled paper and energy-saving lightbulbs
- The commitment to protect the environment specifically with responsible waste management. Our company takes an active role in sustainable waste sorting, and was awarded the Luxembourgish ‘SuperDrecksKëscht fir Betriber’ quality label
- The promotion of environmental friendly transport, e.g. a charging station for electric vehicles and an electric bicycle self-service system for all employees. In addition, all our company cars meet at least the EURO 5 norm.
Our company educates its employees to ensure their health and wellbeing. Moreover, our employees have use of RTL City fitness centre and can benefit from medical consultations and various medical campaigns.
Our company also promotes social dialogue with trade unions gathered from committee meetings and monthly meetings where delegates discuss and exchange ideas.
Furthermore, employees have a direct interest in the company’s performance through a profit-sharing scheme.
Our company actively contributes to the research and development of new technologies through various associations and participation in the consortia:
- HD Forum
- Information Technology for European Advancement (ITEA)
- Networked and Electronic Media (NEM)
In addition, in collaboration with the main public research centre of Luxembourg (LIST), our company has also taken an active part in projects such as “Passepartout” in partnership with Philips, “Movies” in collaboration with the Eureka Cluster Programme (CELTIC), MOTSWAN (Mobile TV Services Whatever Access Network) and ACDC (Adaptive Content Delivery Cluster).
Our company has implemented a “New Media Technology” structure in charge of developing innovative solutions in the Multimedia field and invests in the training of its employees to ensure a continuity of the technological know-how.